Kenworthy Hall image image: freebase.com / wikipedia commons :report image

Kenworthy Hall map

Creative Commons License
Freebase CC-BY
Source: Kenworthy Hall on Freebase licensed under CC-BY
image information: freebase image


  • Kenworthy Hall, also known as the Carlisle-Martin House and Carlisle Hall, is located on the north side of Alabama Highway 14, two miles west of the Marion courthouse square. It was built from 1858 to 1860 and is one of the best preserved examples of Richard Upjohn's distinctive asymmetrical Italian villa style. It is the only surviving residential example of Upjohn's Italian villa style that was especially designed to suit the Southern climate and the plantation lifestyle. It has a massive four-story tower, windows of variable size and shape with brownstone trim, and a distinctly Southern division of family and public spaces. The building was designed and constructed for Edward Kenworthy Carlisle as his primary family residence and the centerpiece of his 440-acre (1.8 km2) estate. It, along with some of its surrounding ancillary structures, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2004. The house and a purported ghost are featured as a short story in Kathryn Tucker Windham's 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey.
    .........
    from Wikipedia - select 'Wikipedia' tab above to read more.

    Building Images

    • Kenworthy Hall image

    more buildings by Richard Upjohn

    buildings close to Kenworthy Hall

    Comment:

    More Sharing Options:

    Add to List



  • Interactive Maps

    • Kenworthy Hall image


  • Linked YouTube Videos

    Back to Top